The March 11 monthly member meeting was a membership drive sponsored by Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, which allowed guests to attend at no cost, and there were about 100 people in attendance. The meeting opened with CAHREP president Rogelio Rodríguez reporting on the NAHREP Multicultural Conference held in Washington, D.C. the week before. Rogelio advised that legislative and regulatory issues were a focus of the conference and that NAHREP, the Asian Real Estate Association of America, and the National Association of Real Estate Brokers have published “The Five-Point Plan – Refocusing the Future of Minority Homeownership,” advocating for diversity in financial services, preserving the important government role in secondary mortgage finance, protect consumers and restore market confidence/the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and mandatory homebuyer education for all first time buyers.
Denver Mayor Guillermo (Bill) Vidal then moved the audience with some insights into his personal history, including the fact that he and his brother left Cuba ahead of the rest of his family and some of the challenges the family faced, his aspirations for the city of Denver, and his appreciation for the work of CAHREP members to increase sustainable homeownership among the Latino community.
Board elections were held and all 4 candidates were elected to the CAHREP board of directors for terms of 2 years:
- David Hays – All Points Home Inspection
- Stuart Kanchuger – Wells Fargo Home Mortgage (marketing)
- John Rocco – Megastar Financial
- Socrates Saldarriaga –Cherry Creek GMAC
Welcome to these members of the board of directors!
Finally, the education portion of the meeting consisted of a specialized lending products panel discussing products and features that can help buyers facing different challenges secure financing. The panelists were Wells Fargo Home Mortgage loan officers:
- Marco Montero – explained renovation products, including FHA 203k, 203k streamlined, and conventional, as products that can help in both purchase and refinance of properties in need of repair
- Stacey King – provided information on Wells Fargo’s Community Development Mortgage Program for low to moderate income homebuyers
- Esther Talamantes Ontiveros – addressed down payment assistance and bond programs
Thanks to all meeting attendees. For the guests, you will find a link to join CAHREP at www.cahrep.org. We look forward to having you become a member and joining us at future monthly member meetings and mixers to build your network and your business!